Resources

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

About Me

I'm Stephanie Garcia-Hayes and this post is a little peak into my life. I'm generally a very private person; I don't have facebook, instagram, or any other social media for that reason. This is all very new to me, so here goes my first blog!
I’m currently a homemaker and student who just graduated from CSU East Bay with a Sociology degree. I have attended multiple universities including, SDSU, CSU San Bernardino, and a couple of community colleges in between. My higher education path has been a long, winding road though I feel like I’m definitely a more stable learner now. After changing my major from Biology to Political Science to Sociology (what was I thinking??) it finally feels like I'm on the path intended for me. I worked at a non-profit organization as a Life Coach to former foster youth for about a year, which gave me insight into being sensitive and aware of diversity and disadvantaged populations. I’m a first generation college graduate and I’m proud to have established this for the younger generations of my family. My grandparents believed it was important to send us grandchildren to private Catholic school, so my education started at Our Lady of the Assumption School in San Bernardino and continued on to Aquinas High School. I always liked school and could be described as the quiet, studious type. I learned to be a little more outspoken in college. Getting good grades came easily for me but Math has always been a struggle.

 Even though I don't utilize social media (other than email) and don't have a smart phone, I am not opposed to technology completely. I wouldn't say I dislike the whole computer revolution, I just never saw an urgent need for it in my life. If I wanted to speak with someone, I will just call them. I don't need to know what people are doing every so often, nor do I want people to know that much of me. I know that computers serve a purpose more than just being a social tool and I can appreciate it beyond that. Computers are a  vital resource tool and allow for distance collaboration which is absolutely great. I think it's important for young learners to advance along with developments that are beneficial to education. I look at this class as an opportunity for personal growth in the technology realm and I'm excited to learn how to integrate technology effectively in the classroom.

I think that the School of Education's mission statement perfectly illustrates what any educator should strive to live by. Promoting and fostering social justice and educational equity spoke to me because I believe that every student should have the same opportunity to succeed. I think that it's important to provide a comfortable, nondiscriminatory learning environment so that each student's input matters and contributes to a group learning experience. Also, the inspiring reflective teaching and learning spoke to me because I had a professor who stressed the importance of taking the time to reflect on one's actions and impact on others. Reflection allows for one to take care of themselves mentally so that they can in turn take care of others. I'm really excited about taking this course, I feel like I'm already learning so much just by writing my very own first blog!




1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, there are a lot of us for whom college and life take different routes than we originally anticipated. I absolutely applaud you for sticking with it. Your work with foster youth will serve as great experience as you work with students whose lives have been a bit complicated. You'll be able to help students as well as colleagues who may not have that kind of knowledge. As I've said to others, your experience/inexperience with some kinds of technology is really important. We need to talk with and listen to folks who aren't as techy. It helps us all think through what we are doing and gain some perspective.

    ReplyDelete