Resources

Friday, July 18, 2014

Testing Students and the Internet

Using the internet while testing, at first thought, seems like a luxury. Access to all the endless information, facts, other people's opinions on issues, etc. potentially sets the student up for foolproof testing. I have myself have had the opportunity to use the internet while testing in an online class, and passed almost effortlessly. I say almost effortlessly because the effort was in typing the keywords into Google and deciding which information was useful for the obtaining the correct answer. Following those tests though, most of the information didn't stick. I have also had tests where the teacher locked the screen so that browsing was not possible. I passed this course as well, with a bit more effort and most of that information actually did stay with me. Studying for the material made me think about it in a way that I didn't have to when taking the test using the internet.

Reading the "Yes" side of the issue, I think that it is key to realize the point that our assessment of students should be beyond them just knowing plain facts and basic understanding of concepts that are readily available on the internet. Students should be held responsible for analyzing and thinking critically about topics, something James Cash says is so essential in the real world. I agree, but I think that there is an opinion about everything online and that a search for the topic of question produces these within the results. Student's minds can be opened to many stances they may not have even thought of if the internet was not available. So, yes, students can critically analyze what others have said on that topic, but with that they are not necessarily developing their own opinion, rather it is one based on an already standing reaction/argument. The creativity that we hope for students to possess is limited by what they find to be already established on the internet. Jeffrey Starr presented the "No" side of the argument by stating the undeniable fact that the range of student skills is too wide to assess students critical thinking by giving access to the internet. I feel that this is critical to this side of the argument because we can't assume every student is at the same level of learning, we have to be sensitive to the different backgrounds and learning styles of our students. He also pointed out potential distractions on the internet and the lack of the ability to monitor or filter cell phone internet connections, that I see as being fixable with time.

I could see myself embracing the idea of students using the internet while testing for some assessments, but definitely not solely. I feel like with the understanding of students having multiple intelligences, there is much to be learned from a variety of learning techniques and assessments. Within the primary grades, I can see young students being overwhelmed by trying to critically analyze so much information exposed to them by unfiltered internet. At this early point in my career, I don't oppose the idea of internet usage while taking tests, but I don't think it's something I would use exclusively.

Photo: Josh Davis

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I don't like the idea of using the internet during tests. I think it provides students with an "easy way out". How can we expect our students to study and prove that they know the material if they are able to use the internet? Also, another downside to allowing internet usage during test is not all information on websites is accurate, so there is that possibility they are reading and learning incorrect information.

    ReplyDelete